Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring 2012 agenda


I've got an event-filled month coming up: MoCCA Fest, TCAF, and more.


The centerpiece of a lot of this activity is the May 8 release of Mastering Comics, our follow-up to Drawing Words & Writing Pictures. This thing was a monster to put together and I'm very excited for people to finally have it in their hands.
As a lead up to the release we are hosting a Mastering Comics giveaway contest on dw-wp.com. You can find the details here.

Fresh Meat

Fresh Meat
is the School of Visual Arts student comics fair and this year it's the Friday night before MoCCA Fest so if you're in town I encourage you to come over to the Monkey Bar Lounge at 217 E 23rd St. between 6-9 PM to see the comics stars of tomorrow and by their minicomics. Facebook event page here.

MoCCA Fest
Jessica and I will be around both days at MoCCA Fest, April 28 & 29 at table G3 or B3. We'll be doing a workshop Saturday at 1:45PM in Room B called "Checklist for a New Comic: A Guide to Getting Started".
We will have copies of Mastering Comics to show as well as our back catalog on sale. Plus I'm going to have at least one new minicomic, an anthology of comics based on my Tic Tac Toe comics jam
On Sunday we will be giving away two copies of Mastering Comics to people who bring us doodle comics—see here for details.

TCAF
The following weekend I'll be traveling solo to Toronto for TCAF 2012. It's my first time going and I'm very excited to check out what seems to me the comics festival with the most buzz in America right now (next to BCGF). Mastering Comics will have to compete for attention there are a lot of amazing books debuting there.
I'll be around on Friday for a special conference for educators and librarians, then Saturday morning I'll be doing a solo version of the Mastering Comics checklist workshop on Saturday morning at 9AM.

Oulipo lecture and workshop, Wexner/Billy Ireland Cartoon Research Library
I am particularly excited about my next trip, a visit to Columbus, Ohio on May 11-12 to do a talk and a workshop about Oubapo, Oulipo, comics and creativity at the Wexner Art Center with the support of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Research Library. Details here, and here is a Facebook event page about the workshop.

Sequential SmArt
Then, for a change of pace, on the weekend of May 19 I'll be heading out to Juniata College in Pennsylvania to be a keynote speaker at a conference on comics and education called Sequential SmArt, organized by the multi-talented Jay Hosler. If you're a teacher interested in using comics in the classroom in any way, this is going to be an amazing weekend. Details here.

Whew, busy month! And it's my birthday in there, somewhere. I think I'm turning 60.

No comments: